Thursday, January 06, 2011

A Rant, on the New Huckleberry Finn

I'm a reader. I enjoy the idea of a novel. Also, I've read them all (not literally), from the great, to the experimental, to the terrible.... Certain works really do stand apart. War and Peace is exceptional for it's detail, Jane Eyre is the definitive first-person narrative, and, Huckleberry Finn captures a region, at an important time. Among many classic works, these novels will always be around. They each capture a niche, that one of any modern reader would want to latch onto. These particular classics maintain, too, the essential devices that make reading (and, writing, too) great. You are looking into particular moments within a character's life, where they are totally out of their element. It's hardship. It's a struggle. It's also the world around, which doesn't always use happy language.

When I heard of a publisher removing, "Nigger," and, "Injun," from Huckleberry Finn, I was immediately offended. The importance (and, the reason it has hung around) of this novel is not the language, or any racism, but instead, the coming-of-age, and acceptance, of Huck Finn. The language is vital to this novel, because it's important to know just how far Huck comes, over a couple dozen chapters. Without the bigotry, where is Huck's heroism? What, then, is the point of the book?

Obviously, this publisher doesn't understand an, "Artist's Intent." Even as rarely as I write, I understand that it isn't the first draft, that gets published. A writer alters. Changes are always required. Mark Twain didn't write Huckleberry Finn on a napkin! I forget the exact number, but, I think, "Nigger," is mentioned 129 times. Probably 129 times by design. Did Twain have a child born on December 9th? Nevermind, that's over analyzing!

I was going to stay in a fit of rage, over this, but, I found a calming force. At this moment, I'd like to thank Neil Gaiman, for wasting his time to answer my dumb question. I guess my grip on Artistic Integrity, blinded me from the Public Domain aspect. I'd also like to thank you, Neil Gaiman, for the idea of Klingon Huck. Very amusing!

What I've learned, is that fury won't get me anywhere. Huck Finn is a Klingon at heart (No wonder Star Trek TNG visited Mark Twain).

All I need to do, to preserve American Literature, is never buy a copy of the neutered Huckleberry Finn....

No comments:

new adventures.

boy, it sure has been a while. i'm updating all my internet properties because i have to work on my "online presence" for a ux...